Wednesday 24 August 2016

Tips for Creating a Blog

Before I started my blog I looked up a lot of different things to ensure I was doing the best thing possible to make my blog the best it can be. Now this doesn't mean this is a guide to having a perfect blog and you'll get millions of views, it's just a few things I found when it comes to creating and writing your blog. 

So I will begin with the first thing I looked up when I started taking my blog more seriously. I found a news article 'Want to become a star blogger?' and of course they included a picture of Zoella (Zoe Sugg) who is absolutely incredible and amazing! But that's enough fangirling from me... 



Growing an audience

  • It's important to tailor social media platforms to your audience. It makes it easier by identifying which platform your readers are using to be able to connect and communicate with them.
  • Use a platform that you feel suits your needs as a blogger like Blogger or Wordpress.
  • Engage with other blogs by commenting on blogs you admire, this way you might receive more yourself.
  • Growing your views isn't easy but it can be rewarding spending time updating social platforms and creating new content you enjoy writing. 
  • To grow audience I found many websites that say ideally upload 3 times a week.

There are two reasons why people create blogs:
  1. Personal Project: Writing about whatever you can, this way people who can relate to your posts will maybe comment and share their own experiences with you.
  2. Career: Focusing on one topic like fashion for example and hoping readers are interested in that and will want to follow. 
This isn't to say these are strict rules and you MUST do these, it's just want I've found but I wouldn't say I have a theme, I just write about random topics. You could if you enjoy two topic try and connect them or even have two separate blogs for each but you wouldn't want to neglect one blog more than the other.

Start as a hobby was the most important advice I found as most bloggers don't earn a full time living. Just see where you end up, blog witting can give you many other skills towards a job you probably never even realised like digital communication or editorial journalism. 


Post ideas

  • Write what you love - Make sure it's 'you'. 
  • Be different - Try and set yourself apart.
  • Write like you talk - your personality can shine through, again just be 'you'. 
  • Good content is key - write content that you as a reader would want to read.
  • Photography skills - the more professional your pictures look, the more professional your blog seems. This is something I struggle with but I'd love to get a really good camera one day to improve my photography skills which is why for now I use getty images to avoid any copyright issues.
  • Research - make your blog bigger by studying others. Don't copy, pick your favourite things from different blogs, come up with new ideas and learn new things. Remember blogging isn't a competition but a fun way to express yourself. 
  • Do good - promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.
  • Friends - Most importantly when it comes to your blog posts don't forget to reply to comments and engage with your readers. 

I could go on and on about what I found when researching about blog creating but these points mentioned I feel are the most important and helpful. I also went and looked at the blogs that I love to read for inspiration for my own blog. Once again be careful not to copy but sometimes just by looking at a blog by someone who inspires you can give you the motivation you need to carry on. 

I hope you find this post helpful.

Like always you can contact me on Twitter @girlwithablog16 or via email agirlwithablog16@gmail.com

Sam x 

No comments:

Post a Comment