Friday 10 June 2016

Moving House Top 10 Tips


By August me and my family will be in a new house! So this has inspired this new post about moving home and hopefully you find it helpful.


When I was 10 years old we moved into the house we are in now which we have lived in for 11 years. Memories like secondary school (some good and some bad), new pets, important birthday's like 18 and 21 and lastly university.

Obviously when I was 10 I didn't understand the stress that comes with moving house but now aged 21 I realise how stressful it can be. When I moved into my university accommodation it was time to be more independent, for me my aim was to bring or buy anything that reminded me of home.


Living by yourself isn't as easy as it seems, having to worry about paying rent, bills and remembering to buy yourself food. But it builds character and teaches you responsibility.

Anyway back to my point, moving house in August is going to be stressful but I also have to within that same month move out of my student house ready to move back into student accommodation in September (stressful times).

I've decided to do some research in order for everyone to find the main tips for moving house, in order to make moving house a little easier.

So here are my top 10 tips for anyone moving house:
  1. When viewing houses remember to go knowing the exact questions you want to ask, maybe even write some down so you don't forget.
  2. Research around to ensure you get the best removal companies to help you. Or even family members or friends might offer to help during moving day.
  3. If it is beneficial for you, make a list of everything you need to do. It'll help you become more organised and help you make sure you have done everything you need to do.
  4. Make sure you have the right supplies for packing like boxes, tape, bubble wrapper or use newspaper, markers or labels.
  5. Labelling boxes makes it easier when unpacking, but remember when carrying heavy boxes or objects ensure you do it safely, even if this means getting someone to help you. Packing bolts and screws for furniture in plastic wallets or sandwich bags so you don't lose them. Along with, light bulbs in your new home so you are not moving in in the dark.
  6. As a dog and 3 cats are part of our household we need to take them into consideration too. When moving with pets it can be important to let them explore when you are packing which can defuse some fear for them and them becoming overwhelmed by what is happening.
  7. Pack early and do not expect to get everything done in one day. This is even the same for unpacking, once you are moved in have a break and start the next day.
  8. From my research I found sites called Freecycle and Freegle which gives household items away for free like sofas, beds, televisions and even fridges etc.
  9. Cleaning whilst you unpack can be essential as little bits of dust can be left behind.
  10. Most importantly, have fun! Moving house is the start of a brand new experience for everybody so try and enjoy it the best you can.
Think when it's done get family and friends over to celebrate the new house!

1 comment: